Wednesday, November 18, 2015

start from scratch and change everything...

Well, Chile is finally heating up a bit! 

My tan-line on my feet is back and my neck is officially 10 shades darker than any other part of me! We are starting to invest in popsicles and sunscreen, so it's SUMMER!! I love summer :)

What a great week! 

“Asombro me da el amor que me da Jesus” and the love He gives to everyone around me. 

This week we had a beautiful opportunity to teach a young, unmarried couple named Diana and Herbis. They have a little daughter named Sofia and they are incredible. They are both so hurt by the mistakes they’ve made and all they want is to have a happy, united family. They want to give their daughter all the hope, protection, and happiness that they didn’t receive from their own families. They’ve felt so lost and hopeless, just because they didn’t know how that would ever be possible.

As I heard them share that, shedding tears the whole time, the Spirit whispered to me: “These are your parents!” In that moment, I just broke down crying, too. It wasn't just that they had similar situations to those of mama and papa. The Spirit was telling me that these two young kids felt EXACTLY as mama and papa did when they met the missionaries. 

I couldn’t hold back exclaiming “I have to tell you something!” In tears and with a picture of my family and the temple, I shared mama and papa's story with Diana and Herbis. I was able to share with them that their dreams ARE possible and there IS hope because I am the evidence. I am the product of a young couple who had no hope until they found it in the gospel. I am the proof that the gospel changes our possibilities and that Jesus Christ has changed our destiny.


In a moment of the lesson, they were just in tears as we told them about the hope of repentance. Christ lives and He lives to save THEM from sin and to free them! He lives to let them start from scratch and change everything about the future of their family. In the end, we invited them to be baptized and prepare to be sealed in the temple. As we extended the invitation, they were holding hands and just looking in each other's eyes, smiling and in tears. They have baptism dates from December and are excited to be married and prepare to enter into the temple to be sealed in one year. That is already where their vision and hope is.

Hermana Clawson has a deep love for mama and papa and our family :) She was also in tears as she told them that I am Sofia in 20 years. She told them that because of the decision mama and papa made, I am here and she has been blessed for it. She said that thousands of people have been and will be blessed for it. It will be the same for Diana and Herbis. Their decision will change all possibilities and futures of their family. 


This was a tender mercy for me, really. I’m just continually amazed by how Heavenly Father let me be here to just testify of the hope. I know it’s real because it’s the reason I have my family right now. It’s the reason for every good thing in my life and I know it will be the reason for every good thing in the lives of Diana, Herbis, Sofia and the rest of their children who are waiting. Heavenly Father’s plan is beautiful.

Well, I'm all out of time, but I love you guys dearly. It's still up to us to choose an eternal family and choose the Savior's Atonement to start from scratch every day. I know the Savior lives and I know that He is not just the Savior of Diana and Herbis, but for all of us. If you continually look for Him, you will see that :) WHAT A BLESSING. I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

Love,
Hermana Aponte

No comments:

Post a Comment